Tuesday, March 26, 2013

k1 visa timeline

So here it is, as I promised yesterday. The K1 visa timeline, or how long the k1 visa process took us. As you will see, we took time with some steps, so if we truly rushed, it all could have been a bit faster.

We were still undecided if we would end up in the States or stayed in Europe longer. That's why, although our I-129F petition documents were ready by the end of September, we only sent them two months later! The k1 visa processing time on USCIS side were quite fast and as showed on their website. I took only 5 months to have the petition approved!

I could have also picked an earlier date for my embassy visa interview, but I didn't have all the vaccinations and background checks ready. So I picked the last possible date before the embassy's summer break! It worked out though! I will share my interview experience later of course.

Once in the States, things went as expected. My husband was out of town during our first green card interview appointment, so we had to re-schedule. It was not a problem at all. We actually almost re-scheduled the second time too! My husband was unexpectedly out of town again, so I just took the risk and showed up at the interview alone. It went smoothly, and I will post more detailed article about green card interview later.

But as you see, it wasn't that bad! So I hope this will give you some idea about how fast things with USCIS are and what to expect.


Got engaged
July 9th 2011
Gathered all the I-129F documents
By the end of September 2011
Petition I-129F sent
Novemeber 25th 2011
Petition received by USCIS
December 2nd 2011
Receipt notice by USCIS
February 22nd 2012
I-129F petition approved
May 3rd 2012
Embassy K-1 visa appointment
June 26th 2012 – I had a chance to pick a date
Visa received
June 26th 2012
Traveled to the USA
August 3rd 2012
Got married
August 6th 2012
Marriage certificate received
August 16th 2012
I-485 Adjustment of status & I-765 Application for employment sent
September 5th 2012
 
Biometrics appointment*
October 23rd 2012
1st Green card appointment
December 6th 2012 – we had to cancel and request a new date
2nd Green card appointment
February 7th 2013

*I forgot one more thing - I received my EAD/Employment Authorization Document on December 2nd 2012.

And another note. You can download all of the k1 visa forms on USCIS website, and more importantly they are all FREE. So don't get fooled if someone is asking money from you to send you the forms. I hope this article helped you to get an idea about how long does k1 visa take to receive. Every case is slightly different though, so keep that in mind!

Kristina